This time of year I always find that my group of little ones really breaks into two smaller groups: the independent quick finishers and those that rely on adult support and extra time. The early finishers start distracting those still working, coming up to chat with you or they start revolting! This is when it’d be lovely to have two different teachers in the classroom! If that’s not in your school budget (HA), maybe this Early Finishers Kit is! Make your own, or buy a premade set (in English or Spanish).
Step by Step Early Finishers Kit:
- Buy a set of drawers. I recommend the skinny drawers with at least 3 drawers to give students options! I found mine at Walmart for about $10.
- Choose your activities: English? Spanish? Math? Mixed?
- Make (or buy) and print labels! Laminate the labels so that you can tape them on the drawers and remove them. It’s nice to be able to change out the options on the Early Finishers drawers when students are ready for something new or more difficult.
- Add a basket to the top with some books that go along with your current unit. This is the easiest and quickest Early Finishers task and is great if a little one only has a couple extra minutes to spare!
- Fill your drawers with copies and other supplies. Make sure that everything your student needs is in that one drawer. This way they can even take the entire drawer to a table with them while they work.
- As a whole group, teach students how to complete each of the activities you have included.
- Establish rules for using the Early Finishers Kit. Does a student go to the drawers on their own when they have finished their work? Do they need an adults permission? Do they choose their favorite task to complete or are they assigned one? Choose whatever works best for you and your classroom!
- Start getting those little early finishers busy!
*My extra supplies: dice, letter stamps (1 set…they share!), stamp pad.
Roll & Add
Write a letter
Stamp Sight Words
Write a List
(use these cards to give students ideas for their list categories!)
The Early Finishers Kit is a GREAT way to keep those quick workers busy, productive, and ENGAGED! It is also motivating for some of my slower workers who want to get to try out the fun activities included in the drawers. Do you have your own version of an Early Finishers Kit? What is your favorite activity? Are you ready to try this out for the first time? Good luck!